29 Things I’ve Learned in 29 Years
29 Things I Have Learned in 29 Years
- After losing someone that you love, the pain eventually begins to dull after a while. You will never forget that person but time really does make things easier.
- If you want to achieve something in life you need to be willing to put the work into in order to make progress. Otherwise, you’ll be stuck in the same place for the rest of your life.
- Family is not just about being related to someone by blood; It’s about people that you are close to you that you love and that love you back. It’s the people that have been there for you all along and never abandoned you when you needed them the most.
- Getting into physical fights, arguments are disagreements that get blowen out of proportion and are about petty nonsense bullcrap are just a waste of time time and enerygy. It’s not worth it. Fight about the things that really matter and mean a lot to you, not over the he said, she said crap.
- If life knocks you down, you just need to get yourself back up and try harder. Things aren’t meant to be perfect and peachy all the time. Getting knocked down is how you learn from your mistakes and grow to become a better person- a better you.
- You can’t expect everyone to like you. You are always going to have haters that can’t stand you and your always gonna have people you can’t stand as well.
- It’s okay to ask for help every now and then, but you can’t expect to have people be there to help you or clean up your messes 24/7. You have to be able to help yourslef too.
- Not everyone notices your physical flaws as much as you do. You can’t be so critical of yourself all the time. Nobody is perfect; Not even the airbrushed, photoshoed Victoria Secret models are perfect.
- Spend time with the people that mean the most to you. Tell them that you love them even if you have never said it to them before because you never know what tomorrow might being and who might be taken away from you.
- Try not to rush to do everything all at once, take your time if you need to.. you’re not superman (or wonder woman).
- If you feel stuck and unhappy with how your life is.. DO SOMETHING about it. The longer you sit there and do nothing, the longer you will be stuck in the same place.
- “Why be ashamed to cry, if you’re not ashamed to smile?” They are just the opposits of eachother. Everyone (almost everyone) has emotions and feelings. Don’t feel ashamed to show your feelings and emotions.. showing them does not make you weak.
- Don’t say, “I was I was normal.”.. What is normal? What makes a person normal? Every person is unique so don’t be afraid to be yourself.
- Mental Illness stigma needs to go.. don’t judge a person based on their mental status or disabilities. Instead get informed, ask questions, do research. I am not longer afraid or ashamed to admit that; Yes.. I am Bipolar and No, I will not scoop out your eyeball with a melon baller. 🙂
- You can’t trust everyone that you meet or know (or work with) because some people don’t always have the best intentions. People will stab you in the back, walk all over you, lie to you and throw you under the bus if it makes them look better or if it is benificial to them.
- If your gut insticts tell you that something is not right.. maybe you need to look at the situation closer and try to see things from another point of view.
- You cannot say. “Yes” to everything.. even if you are a people pleaser. People will take your kindness for weakness. There are times when you just have to say, “No” and leave it at that.
- Don’t be afraid of your sexuality, or sexual preffrences. Love who you want to love. Don’t worry about the haters.
- Keeping and writting in a Journal well into your late 20’s and up does not make you childish. It has been proven that journaling and writting is a healthy way to release feelings, thoughts and emotions. So write on!
- Try not to judge people.. you never know what they have been through, or what they are going through. Sometimes the people with the biggest smiles are the ones who hold on to a great sadness inside.
- You are never too old to learn new things! I learn something new almost every single day.
- Don’t believe everything everyone tells you.. words get twisted and distorted along the way.
- Don’t tell people personal things about yourself unless you are prepared for your personal life to be spread around. There are not many people who can actually keep a secret and not tell a single soul about what was told to them. (example: At work I mentioned that I was color blind and the next things I knew I was unable to see stop lights and unable to drive safely.. Hmm.. I didn’t know that I couldn’t see street lights? Wish someone would’ve told me before I got my permit! :-P)
- No matter how much you love or like someone.. there is always going to be times when that person annoys you or that you won’t always see eye-to-eye on everything. That doesn’t make you incompatable.
- You don’t need hundreds of friends, you only need 1 or 2 close friends to make you happy.
- Holding on to grudges only makes your life harder and more stress filled. Even if it takes time for you to heal from what someone did to you in the past, after awhile you need to let it go and move on.
- There IS a such thing as happy tears! (as I found out on my 29th Birthday)
- It’s more important to make sure that all your bills are paid first instead of buying an object that you really like or want and then worrying about how to afford your rent.. (a roof over your head is better than the newest pair of shoes!)
- Live life to the fullest because you never know when you last on earth is going to come.
Samantha View All
Samantha is the author of "My Bipolar Mind: You're not alone," she is also a freelance writer, blogger, and mental health advocate who runs and manages her own mental health blog MyBipolarMind.com.
Leave a Reply